OV's Logo

Old Verulamians Lodge No. 7988

in the Province of Hertfordshire

Consecrated on the 14th November 1964

OV's Logo

History of the Lodge

The Old Verulamians Lodge was formed by a few Old Boys of St. Albans Grammar School guided and supported by fathers of Old Boys, a School governor, a Master at the School, other Brethren with an interest in the school and several members of Cranbourne Lodge No. 1580 which officially sponsored the Old Verulamians Lodge.

The Lodge was consecrated by the Provincial Grand Master of Hertfordshire, R. W. Bro. Col. Alexander Woods, M.B.E., T.D., D.L., (who died in 1974), in a ceremony held in the hall at the school in Brampton Road on 14th November 1964. Since the consecration the Lodge has met at Ashwell House, Verulam Road, St. Albans.

Ashwell House is a private limited company, the shareholders of which are the Lodges who meet there. The Old Verulamians Lodge own several shares in the Company.

The Lodge originally met on 4 regular occasions in the year, but in 1972 after having had an emergency (extra) meeting each previous year, permission was sought from United Grand Lodge to increase the number of regular meetings to 5 a year. Permission was granted and the 5th meeting was established as the 3rd Saturday in February. The dates of all Regular Meetings are printed in the summons.

In 1969 a subscription was opened with a very generous sum by one of our founder members and a banner was purchased. This banner was dedicated at a ceremony in February 1970 by the Provincial Grand Master.